Home - About the Center
The Hutchinson Center is an outreach center for the University of Maine in Orono, that serves as an educational and cultural center for the mid-coast area. It is named for University of Maine President Emeritus Frederick E. Hutchinson.
The Hutchinson center offers many academic opportunities.
- Live, video conference, and online courses, offered by University of Maine Faculty, run in the Fall, Winter, Spring and Summer semesters; many of these courses are designed to meet the General Education Degree Requirements for up to the first two years of a Baccalaureate program.
- Area High-School students are encouraged to explore Early College options available
- The Masters Of Social Work hybrid program is offered as a blended model cohort taught via online courses in addition to live courses at the Hutchinson Center; the next cohort is being offered in the Fall of 2016
- Other Masters level certificate and degree offerings are available through UMaineOnline
- The Hutchinson Center also serves as a receiving site for other University of Maine Systems campuses courses that are offered via ITV or video conference
- Students and center visitors can access technology, such as the Mac lab with 21 brand new computers, upgraded in 2015, and over 20 computers in the PC lab, all to support online and distance students, advising and student support services, and other University resources, as well as participate in the many art and entertainment, cultural and community events held each year at the Hutchinson Center
The Hutchinson Center opened in 2000 for the purpose of bringing high quality education to the mid-coast area and doubled in size in the summer of 2009 with the completion of the Walsh wing, named for Edward J. Walsh. The Walsh wing added science labs, classrooms, staff and faculty offices, and a conference center to the classrooms, computer labs, offices, auditorium, and atrium space of the original building. The Fernald Art Gallery is housed in the Walsh wing and offers a wide range of art throughout the year.
In addition to educational offerings, the Center provides attractive spaces for conferences and meetings, with a host of audio/video equipment, helpful support staff, and a catering kitchen.